Areas of Advocacy
- Civil Rights (race and gender discrimination, disability discrimination, employment discrimination)
- Corporate Law (employment law, intellectual property, venture funding, formation and dissolution)
- Education (Title IX, school discipline, special education, bullying)
- Child Welfare (care and protection, homeless and runaway youths, emancipation)
- Family (guardianship, child custody, restraining orders, support, divorce, parenting agreements, pre- and post-nuptial agreements)
- Counseling and advice on legal rights and non-legal community resources.
- Mediation of family, community, school, police, and small claims disputes.
- Administrative advocacy before Social Security, education, labor, and other government agencies.
- Litigation in state and federal court.
- Appeals in state and federal court.
Branch Legal strives to empower clients to advocate for themselves, first, by making the law less opaque and more accessible to them, second, by advising them on strategy, and, third, by deploying conflict resolution strategies that will produce the best results with the lowest emotional and financial cost. Finally, we empower clients by building a rich network of referrals to help clients take full advantage of the non-legal, as well as legal, resources available to them. We see empowerment not only as a means to save money for clients, but also as an end in itself.